Friday, May 2, 2008

GTA IV thoughts



As the first week of being able to play Grand Theft Auto IV (legally) winds down, I thought I would bring some of my thoughts about what GTA IV means now.
Ladies and Gentlemen, games are now mainstream. I know, I know, some people have been saying that gaming has already been mainstream for a while now. Well, with a game of this magnitude coming out the same week that a highly-touted movie comes out and now one remembers what the movie is, that is saying something. Last year did not count because Halo 3 was a far superior game and The Heartbreak Kid was another Ben Stiller “Oh look at how stupid I can get” movie. I cannot remember hearing a single thing about Iron Man since the game came out. Will gaming be a top tier form of entertainment, I doubt it. If people such as Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, and Matt Damon (member of the Film Actors Guild) would embrace gaming, then I would say so. Until then, it is in line with actors that do not pay top tier. Sort of like an actor that would guest spot on a TV series. If you get my drift.
People are saying that this is the greatest game ever. It is. Just as GTA III revolutionized the open world sandbox type of game, GTA IV brought in a Hollywood type of feel to it. They also brought in a Hollywood type of budget and a Hollywood time line. Rockstar spent around 100 million dollars on this game (I actually typed movie in there first) and it took 3 ½ years to make it with thousands working on it. The reason why I'm bringing this up is because people are saying that every game will be compared to this game and I pray to God that it is not. For every Iron Man, there is a Juno. Most gaming studios do not have the time or money to put in for a game as great as this. I know it will be difficult to imagine post- GTA IV games, but there will be and we cannot compare them. Now if a major gaming studio such as Sony or Electronic Arts or even Activision/Blizzard would try it, then they better damn sure make a good one. Let me ask you a question. Would you believe Rockstar would be floating right now if GTA IV sucked? Think about it.
Okay, people are now bashing GTA IV for the graphic nature of it. They are saying that there is sex, violence, and general horrific behavior in the game. First of all, I am going to say this to all those that complain about the game and haven't even played it. FUCK YOU. If you want to talk to me about the violence and the sex of it all, then play the game. If you don't, then don't fucking talk to me. There is violence and horrific behavior all around this world and I will be damned if it is blamed on gaming. Just this week in Austria, a man was found to have trapped his daughter in the basement for 24 years and repeatedly raped her and fathered 7 children with her. Why isn't anyone blaming gaming for this? Oh, I know. BECAUSE THE TWO OF THEM DO NOT FUCKING CONNECT. So why are you blaming gaming for the ills of society? There were two incidents that I new of involving criminal acts surrounding GTA IV. There were multiple attacks on people during Black Friday this past November. When people find the ills of society, they find the hot button issue and place it there. This era is gaming. People need to stop blaming other things and blame the parties responsible. Rockstar did not put mace into that San Diego man's hand. Rockstar did not put the knife into the hands of the man who stabbed another on in line in London. What could have been done was maybe the parents should have known that the San Diego kid was a douche and tried to do something about it. Maybe some of the London man's friends should have known he was going to do something stupid and they tried to stop it. DON'T BLAME GAMES. Blame yourself. You, I, and everyone is the reason why the world is falling apart, not an imaginary world.

No comments: